I love eating authentic mexican food. I usually follow Rick Bayliss’ recipes from his PBS series and/or one of his many cookbooks. My favorite all-time place for delicious Mexican Food is his Topolombampo restaurant and/or Frontera Grill. At least once a year I head to Chicago for my real Mexican food/margarita fix–within walking distance to the hotel –of course.
My daughter, on the other hand, loves Taco Soup. A recipe very far from anything you will find at a true authentic Mexican Restaurant. But, this one is very kid friendly and can be made healthy. Trader Joe’s company offers in the recipe healthy, vegetarian and slow cooker options. I use fresh tomatoes in lieu of canned and opt for fresh jalapeno a sprinke of cumin and fresh cilantro instead of the taco seasoning mix.
“Prep time: 15 minutes / Cook time: 1 hour / Serves: 6-8
This soup combines the flavors and textures we all love about tacos, into a hearty soup – and it’s easier to handle than messy tacos! I love crowd-pleasing one-pot meals like this, where everyone can customize their own toppings. I think the one topping that is mandatory is tortilla chips!
- 1 (approx 1.3 lb) pkg boneless chicken breasts or thighs, or 1 pkg Chicken-less Strips (vegan/vegetarian option)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pkg Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, or 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth (optional; omit for a thicker stew)
- Your choice of toppings (tortilla chips, cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, chopped tomatoes, chopped green onions, chopped onions, jalapenos or chiles)
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook onions for 5 minutes, or until softened.
2. Add remaining ingredients and heat to boiling. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 1 hour.
3. Remove chicken, shred, and return to pot. Stir and heat through before serving.
Note: see below for slow-cooker instructions.
Slow cooker method: Place all ingredients into a crockpot and cook for 5-6 hours on low setting. Remove chicken, shred, and return to crockpot. Stir and heat through before serving.
Cooking with Trader Joes Cookbook: Dinner’s Done!”
See the complete recipe and notes here: http://cooktj.com/taco-soup.